Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Lease on Life

By: Patty Conley, Director of Operations 
 Patty@asafeport.org

My daughter Sarah recently said to me, “Mom, I like this new lease on life you have.”  There is something that I’ve been thinking about doing for over a year now and have finally taken the plunge. 

Last year, my son Tommy challenged his dad and me to get in better shape.  It involved me running a mini marathon.  There were prizes attached so it made it very attractive.  I thought about it and that was about as far as it went.  Well, after a year, I decided to “take the plunge” and train and give it try.   It feels good.  I’m a success either way.  Either I accomplish it and that’s great or I don’t and that’s ok because I tried.

What brought me to this place you might ask?  Many things have but first and foremost is God in my life.  The second is my recovery journey.
 

That is why I am so passionate about what we do here at Fair Haven.  In our summer session, I am the one currently running our Tuesday morning support group.  I had forgotten how much I love group and just how powerful it is.  It is a safe place where you can come and tell your story and be validated.  It is a place where you are accepted.  It’s a place where healing, through God’s help, can happen.

I’ve spent many a days in a group just like that.  I learned that it was ok to dream again.  I learned that it’s about the journey and that it’s progress not perfection.  That is one of the reasons why I do have a new lease on life.  I am very thankful for the journey.